The Asia Health Index 2016 reveals a new generation among us Filipinos, that is Generation “O”. Generation O is not based on the year a person is born. Generation “O” means today’s generation that is overworked, overweight, and overwhelmed. The survey reveals a 7% drop in perception of overall health & well-being. There is also a 7% decrease in the perceived quality of physical health while there is a 4% drop in perception of good emotional health.
It is sad to know that many of us are starting a brand new year with these feelings of not getting enough time, money, and motivation to take care of ourselves – physically, mentally, and emotionally.
As a working mom, I understand how demanding modern life can be – it is overwhelming! My personal strategy in keeping in control, happy, and healthy is to take care of myself and make it my number one priority. Have you heard of the saying that you cannot take care and love others if you do not know how to care and love yourself first? This is true and I hope many of us realize this before it takes a toll on our well-being.
So, here are a few tried and tested tips for a healthier and brighter you this 2017 – all of which boils down to taking the time to care for yourself.
1. Manage your workload – if you feel you are overworked, stop dragging yourself down and feeling like a victim. Work is a blessing but too much of it can also be bad. Take responsibility by being proactive in managing your workload and if need be, communicating the adjustments that need to be done to your client or boss. If you start doing this i.e. managing yourself and being your own manager, you will instantly feel in control and taken cared of. Because no one else can manage yourself better than you!
2. Establish healthy routines that allow you to take care of yourself – set aside time in the morning to stretch and enjoy a peaceful breakfast to power your day, go for a walk during lunch time or freshen up yourself, or light up an aromatic candle to relax when you get home in the evening. These are just some ways to nurture your mind, body, and soul no matter how hectic your schedule is. Taking these small steps can instantly lend you a more positive and brighter disposition that motivate you throughout the day.
3. Eat smart – food is fuel and when your fuel is crap, your body (machine) will corrode and underperform. Imagine the gasoline commercials on TV, the same happens to our body. Eating nutritious meals on time allow you to feel nourished not to mention help you achieve a healthier weight and even more beautiful skin tone while preventing diseases.
4. Physical exercise – you don’t need a gym membership or equipment, simply going for a 30 minute run or brisk walk (just start somewhere) can increase your health and wellness significantly. Physical activity relieves stress, clears your mind, and make yourself feel healthy and here it goes again – taken cared of and loved. A bonus is that you will instantly fit in your clothes better and as you tone your body with exercise and eating healthy, it becomes easier to just wear anything at all without being conscious of bulges, etc. etc.
5. De-stress & worry less – I recently started using more aromatherapy to calm my body and mind, in the office, in the bedroom, and even when traveling. I found that having a small air humidifier with peppermint oil increased my focus when working and that using an oil burner with lavender oil helps me and my son go to sleep on time. These are small investments to calm yourself in the midst of stress. Remember, stress and problems will always be in our lives and it is how we manage our stress that can help us live happier and brighter while taking on these challenges.
Mommy Lace Tip: If you’re not yet interested with aromatherapy, try music therapy! Listen to solo piano music when trying to relax, focus piano music when studying or working, and a mood boosting playlist when you need the motivation to be more productive.
The Asia Health Index also reveals that Filipinos still worry about not having enough money. It is a common problem that I also think about. One way to be proactive and deal with this financial worry is by increasing your financial literacy by asking questions, researching about investing and buying insurance, and finally – protecting yourself and your family with the right financial products.
I’ve written about the Sun Life Fit & Well here, it is the most comprehensive health insurance to date that allows Filipinos like us to worry and stress less while enjoying our life. Having health insurance also allows you to take care of yourself when you cannot i.e. when you get sick and cannot work or produce income, a health insurance like Sun Life Fit & Well can take care of you from prevention to diagnosis and provide you with hospital allowance that can help replace your income when you’re unable to work.
I hope this post inspires you to take care of yourself this year, if you are a mom like me it is even more important to take care and love yourself because our children and family depends on us being healthy, productive, and happy. Have a brighter and stress-free 2017 Mommies!